A student of Ecole des Art Appliqués in Paris from 1939 to 1943, Roger Capron (1922-2006, France) was an internationally recognized designer. In 1946, Capron moved to Vallauris, where he founded a ceramics workshop known as ‘l`Atelier Callis’, contributing to the renaissance of ceramics in the area. In 1952, he opened a small ceramics factory and by 1957 he had established a considerable international reputation. A leading ceramicist of his era, Roger Capron pioneered various styles at his studio in Vallauris, France during the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Whether working on furniture, decorative or functional pieces, Capron imbues his design pieces with a whimsical spirit and flavor.
“Soleil” Tile Wall Sculpture c.1971. This decorative wall sculpture made in a patchwork of sandstone stamped elements in a fabulous range of sea blue, moss, white and taupe. Is a great example of the partnership between Capron and Jean Derval in the early 70s.
The “Ellipses” Tile Coffee Table c.1960s in black hammered ceramic tiles with rhythmic drawings in a matte-white and shiny red glaze.