Albert C. Martin
May Company, 1939
Exterior view of the May Co. Department Store, located on the NE corner of Wilshire and Fairfax, facing the Streamline Moderne department store’s distinctive corner gold tower. Designed by Albert C. Martin, architect, and Samuel A. Marx, associate architect, it was built in 1939-40. A man appears to be standing on top of the May Co. sign. A sign across the street reads: Simon’s Sandwiches.
May Company California was established in 1923 when May acquired A. Hamburger & Sons Co.(founded in 1881 by Asher Hamburger). The company operated exclusively in Southern California until 1989 when May Department Stores had dissolved Goldwater’s, based in Scottsdale, Arizona and transferred its Las Vegas, Nevada store to May Company California.
In 1992, the Wilshire May Company Building was designated LA Historic-Cultural Monument.
Information and picture courtesy of Water and Power Associates